Saturday, December 6, 2014

All the things...

What a way to "end" a year that STILL keeps us hoping.

A few months back I started promising a friend at the coast that I'd be visiting him. And as we went into the homestretch with the final plans and dates... we were texting and on the phone with eachother often.

I happily and positively made my way to one of my last 6 markets for the year last night.  People I know came past, chatted... and the news arrived in the form of two people I have seen often on the local market scene.
They also happen to be family of the friend at the coast.
He had "passed away" on Wednesday.

Words should be invented to accurately describe what disbelief I continue to drift in and out of.

A life just barely past 30 years of existence... a gypsy soul that was never content with being in one place for too long.
Gone.
As easily as its said.
Gone.

And yet... I cannot cry at the thought of it.
A person genuine to his very core. Someone so easy to be friends with, because it was all as simple as it was said.
Admittedly, we had had a few years of space in our relationship, but we slipped back into reparation as easily as a few honest confessions.

Gone.

But I am not without tears. Breaking the news to other people who called him friend, has been only just short of devastating.
I cry at the thought of him, of the world being without him, at having heard him over the phone only weeks ago with all these plans to be in eachothers space and.... not anymore.

Words like, Polaris, Harrier, braai and breadmaker.... will forever bring back memories that so many of us (past and present friends) will know too well. The first of many New Years Eves is approaching where we wil be without the tradition started so many years ago.... that all too familiar phone call "Happy New Year Dudey".

I'll be wishing you anyway Gar. Thank you.

No comments: